Employer: Task Force on Financial Integrity and Economic Development
Job Title: Senior Journalist / Communications Professional
Application Deadline: Close of Business, June 17, 2011
Location: Washington, D.C.
The Task Force is seeking an experienced journalist to promote its issues and expertise in the area of financial transparency in the US/North America media market as a primary focus and in Central and South America as a secondary focus. This position will be based in Washington, DC.
- Place stories and opinion pieces on our key issues in print, broadcast and online media.
- Identify and cultivate media contacts on Task Force issues.
- Educate journalists about illicit financial flows, bank secrecy, tax evasion and corruption, and create a flow of story ideas they can investigate.
- Turn Task Force policy materials into readable copy for journalists and public audiences.
- Write and place timely op-eds and blogs relating to current news items.
- Coordinate closely with media staff working for Task Force member organizations.
- Maximize impact of reports and campaigning actions undertaken by the Task Force member organizations.
- Excellent general knowledge of target media markets
- Significant contacts in print, broadcast and online media
- Proven understanding of new media
- Familiarity with, or understanding of, illicit financial flows, tax evasion, bank secrecy and related issues
Skills/ Personal Qualities
- Strong news sense
- Ability to write clear copy to deadline
- Ability to respond and work well under pressure and to prioritize workload and multi-task
- Results driven, with excellent attention to detail
- Proactive team player with a ‘can-do’ approach
- Strong networking and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills
- Ability to work without close supervision and take initiative
- 5+ years of experience working as a journalist
- Previous experience of developing and implementing a communications strategy
- Proven experience of proactively pitching stories to journalists and editors across regions and outlets
- Fluent in English; Spanish is a plus
If interested, please email a cover letter, resume and list of published work to Christine Clough, firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Task Force on Financial Integrity and Economic Development (the Task Force) and its parent organization, the Center for International Policy (CIP), are equal opportunity employers. It is the Task Force’s and CIP’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for professional advancement without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual preference, gender identity, parental status or disability.